Radar Detector vs. Slowing Down

From: John B. Youngblood (johnb@cs.tamu.edu)
Date: Fri May 01 1998 - 16:59:02 EDT

> I think my next investment will be a radar detector, done had enough
> tickets to pay for one the first 2 were a total of $160, and haven't
> found out how much the 3rd one was yet, so I think $100-$200 for a radar
> detector will be a very safe investment.....

I think a safer investment would be to slow down! I realize that this
suggestion is not going to be popular with many members of this list,
but I think (and the statistics will back me on this) that excessive
speeding on public roads is just not safe. Haven't you seen recent
news coverage of government reports on how SUVs (and presumably light
trucks) are slaughtering people in small cars because SUV owners are
driving too fast? Just because they aren't smart enough to drive a
Dakota doesn't mean we should try to kill them! Even if we were on the
Ford Festiva mailing list (God forbid) I would still suggest that we drive
safely. Of course, in a Festiva, speeding isn't really going to be a
problem. :)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to bitch at any particular list
members or claim that I am the safest driver on the list. Believe me, I
made *many* very bad driving decisions when I had my previous car, and
I am fortunate that I never hurt myself or (especially) anyone else.

In my old age (23) I have come to realize that public roads are generally
not the appropriate venue for hauling a$$. Yes, there are some exceptions.
I just encourage you to consider the potential consequences of your
actions. You get the point...

Having made myself the least popular member on the list, insults may be
addressed directly to: johnb@cs.tamu.edu

Sorry for the long post! - John Youngblood - 97 CC 318