Re: Win

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri May 01 1998 - 19:12:50 EDT

>Congratulations are in order for our very own Jon (Force) Steiger on his First
>place trophy in the truck class at NYIRP. He beat out some tuogh competition
>with very consistent runs and good reaction times. The final run was between
>Jon and a fellow Dakota owner from Canandaigua, NY whose 95 Dakota (nice
>Looker too) ran as good as 14.6 @ 94 MPH and Jon. Jon did a whale of a job and
>beat him. Me I am first in line for the Red light of the year award. Them
>Auto's are just too fast and keep getting me red lights ????

  Hey, maybe you should put your parking brake on? ;-)

>I'm headin to bed, Jon can fill ya in on the details.
>
>Great Job Jon !!!!!!

  :-) Thanks, Bill!

  I don't really credit it to much more than good luck and being able to
run without making any stupid mistakes though. :-)

  If anyone is interested in the details, they're in the following which
is part of a post I sent to Sean Meldrum:

----------------------

   It actually started out as a pretty disappointing day... I got
there early, and as I was driving in the gate, I notice this blue
Dakota a few carlengths behind me with white "viper" stipes painted
on it, and a spoiler at the back of the bed. It was lowered also.
  While we were in the staging lanes, I was talking to the guy and
he said that he had just bought it and wanted to see what it
would do. He wasn't sure wether he had the MP computer
or not, but he did have the MP cam and a Gibson 3" exhaust.
(Boy, that sucker is HUGE!!) It was also lowered, and had 3.91
gears. Although I don't usually go for spoilers on the back of a
truck, it was a *really* nice looking vehicle! :-) (And a
5 speed, BTW)

   Very first run of the day (time trials) and I'm staged next
to him. I JUMP out ahead of him by a couple of truck lenghts
and I'm still there at half track, where I'm thinking "heh heh heh!"
Then he went by me like I was standing still!!!!! Whatever has
been done to that truck, it has an AWESOME top end!! I ran a
15.7 and he ran a 15.2. So, I think, " Well, that's not too bad.
I mean, I've got a club cab with minimal mods, after all..."
  The next run, I ran a 15.5 I think, and he did a 14.9. I start
to get a little dissapointed. Then, the next two runs, I run
in the 15.6 to 15.7 range, and he rips off two 14.6's in a row.
Now I'm really dissapointed. :-( The fastest I ran all night
was a 15.5.

   For bracket racing, I dialed in at 15.6, which Bill thought might
be a little close, since the track was starting to cool down.
I changed it to 15.5 to be safe. Turns out I would have been OK
with 15.6 anyway, but better safe than sorry. :-)

  There were only about 9 trucks, so all I had to do to get a
trophy was win the first round. :-) 4 Dakotas, 1 ram, 3 chevys.
(One of those chevy's was running mid 14's with a 502 crate motor.)

  My first run, I took out a Ram. She ran closer to her dial-in,
but my R/T was much better. (Speaking of which, that is one thing
I was pretty happy with. Most of my reaction times were in the
.550-.570 range, with one .6something and one .7something. The
next round, I deep sixed a chevy, and the final round was against
the "viper" dakota, and I beat him too. That win light was a
beautiful sight indeed. :-)

  Lets see, how many Wednesdays are there until the end of the
season? I need to know how big to make my trophy case. ;-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.