Re: Radar Detectors in and out of Dak's

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Mon May 04 1998 - 10:04:51 EDT

>At 10:10 AM 5/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>To all concerned about radar detectors:
>>
>[...]
>
> Good post, Gene. I agree 100% (and so does my Valentine One) :-)

So do I.

> I think that someone who has a detector has shown that they want
>to be more in touch with what is happening around them. I forget what
>the technology is called, but some detectors can detect emergency
>vehicles and such. PA puts radar guns in their construction warning
>signs (to slow people down, I guess). Similar to the idea conveyed
>by studies that have shown that people who habitually drive faster
>than the speed limit are generally better drivers than the average
>person.
>
> I think the case could probably be made that the artificially low
>speed limits are actually creating a danger to motorists. People
>driving safely at perfectly acceptable speeds (according to the laws
>of physics) can easily be over the politically defined speed limits,
>and a portion of their attention must be used to watch out for
>the police who are enforcing the artificially low speed limits.
>That attention would would be more beneficial if it could be
>directed to the act of driving. Like a mouse who misses a berry
>while running through a field because it was watching for hawks
>flying above...
>
> People may say I'm crazy, but I think that a solid driver
>education program (not like the joke that is in place now; rather than
>sitting around and watching movies, you get sent to something like the
>Skip Barber driving school)

Amen, Jon. Years ago the General ran a study of "driver ed - trained"
drivers to see what their reaction was to the sudden appearance of an
unexpected object. Invariably, the drivers hit the brakes (and often the
object) although they could have easily steered around the object safely.
GM determined that drivers' ed teaches the use of brakes not good driving
skills, i.e., accident avoidance.

and higher speed limits would do wonders
>both for safety and general driver attitude.
>accident while driving at or under that recommended speed.)
> -Jon-

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]