RE: DML tire sizes

From: Weingart, Robert F (rweingart@lucent.com)
Date: Mon May 04 1998 - 14:52:38 EDT

Frank-

Ah, you are right. I should have browsed that site before responding.
I knew that the overall width did not change, but did not realize that
the tread width did. After trying to visualize it, now it is clear.
I have been fixated on the total height and section width part lately
when trying find out what tires would fit on my '79 Chrysler without
scrubbing and keep the right gearing. I did not pay attention to the
actual tread width itself.

Thanks,
Rob Weingart
<<<

Yes quite. A 245/70 is taller than a 246/60. The maximum width is the
same at 245mm. The TREAD width will be wider on the /60 tire. From
http://www.dunloptire.com/tires/GT_qualifier.html

                  Rim Tire Tread Tread
 Tire Size Width Diam. Width Depth

P235/60R15 95S 6.5 26.2 7.7 10/32
P245/60R15 100S 7.0 26.6 8.1 10/32
P255/60R15 102S 7.0 27.1 8.5 10/32
P275/60R15 107S 7.5 28.0 8.9 10/32

P235/70R15 102S 6.5 28.0 7.1 10/32
P255/70R15 108S 7.0 29.1 7.8 10/32

So you can see that a 235/60 has a tread width .6" wider than a 235/70
and a 255/60 has a tread width .7" wider than a 255/70. The exact
number will vary bewteen brands and types, but a lower profile tire will
always have a wider TREAD than the same tire in the same width with a
higher profile.