Re: Rattling transfer shift lever...

From: david zavetsky (zavetsky@usaor.net)
Date: Mon May 04 1998 - 23:33:23 EDT

Hate to be the nay sayer here but...

My 92 started doing that and I was told the same thing.....Turns out, it was
the input shaft bearings toasting themselves....

Now, any type of vibration (like a bearing about to belly up) will cause
this buzzy sound that goes away with slight pressure on the
shifter.....Yours very well could be a mal-adjusted lever.....

My point here is that you need to be very careful here, and watch for any
strange noise...DONT live with it, like I did for awhile......Get it fixed
while the thing is under warranty....Transfer case repairs get VERY VER VERY
expensive!!

At 09:58 PM 5/4/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I have a 98 Dakota CC V8 with the 5 spd manual transmission. For the last
few weeks
>I have been getting a really annoying noise from what appeared to be my
transmission.
>When I was cruising at about 50-70 mph, I was hearing a noise that sounded
like a
>bearing running dry.
>
>When I took it to the dealer, he drove it for a bit, and then mentioned
that they are
>seeing a lot of Daks with this rattling noise, and that it can be fixed by
readjusting the
>transfer case shift linkage.
>
>So, if you hear your Dak's transmission making a noise that sounds like a
dry bearing,
>try pulling back or pushing forward JUST A SLIGHT BIT on your transfer
shift lever.
>If the noise goes away, all you need is a simply linkage adjustment.

"M ove O ver, P ickup A pproacing R apidly!"
1992 Dakota 4x4, Standard cab, short bed, 5.2 L V8, K&N, Gibson/Dynomax
exhaust,Power Puleys, MP SBEC, 180 degree thermostat, Bushwhackers,
tire/wheel package, Lund Moonvisor & Interceptor, Custom Cover tonneau,
Bundy rear bumper, chrome grillguard/pushbar

see http://www.usaor.net/users/zavetsky for pictures!

MOPAR or NOCAR!