Re: Keyless entry chirp

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 11:19:34 EDT

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Joseph Dick wrote:

> I just purchased 98 4x2 Dakota SLT CC with 5.2 V8 and Auto. Love it . It
> has the keyless entry with security alarm. It is supposed to chirp the horn
> when arming/locking but does not. My dealers service department says have
> to bring it in and leave it ALL DAY to put back the chirp. Is this
> something the owner can do ? If so can anyone on the list give me the
> procedure for that . thanks in advance.

  That's ridiculous; It would take them 5 minutes if they're REALLY slow...
They just have to plug into your computer and activate the chirp. (Kind of
a strange system; seems to me that they should have designed it so that the
customer could change their alarm preferences.)

   If possible, you might want to find a different dealership. (For this,
and maybe for any future repairs.) You may have to drive a few miles extra,
but sometimes it can be worth it. Something like this where the dealer doesn't
get any money and it is a minor hassle might be a good way to guage the
various service departments in your area...

                                              -Jon-

  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (15.34@89.10), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |