RE: Lo-Jack, How it works.

From: Walter Felix (Walter_Felix@classic.msn.com)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 13:35:59 EDT

How the Lo-Jack system works it there is a transmitter hidden in the vehicle
that can be activated by remote. If the vehicle is stolen, you call Lo-Jack
and report the vehicle stolen. They activate the transmitter and it sends out
a signal which is picked up by receivers, located in police cars. You can
tell which police cars are equipped by looking for four 10" antennas placed,
about 10" apart in a square pattern, on the roof of the police car. The
receiver has a series of LEDs placed in a circle, if the LED at 10 o'clock is
lit, the officer knows that the vehicle is in that direction from where he is
facing. It also has an intensity meter that indicates how close.

The problem with the system, is it's still not available in all areas. If you
go out of the service area, Lo-Jack can't activate the transmitter and local
police departments are not equipped with the receivers. As said in a previous
post, they may be going with a satellite version of the package.

Walter_Felix@MSN.COM
88' Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9219