Re: DML:Confusion Was spark knock

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 13:26:19 EDT

> Can you suggest a deposit cleaner and a thermo? (180)

  I think that some list members are running 180degF thermostats with
no ill effects. Be forewarned that your Dakota's computer will not
go into closed loop mode under a certain coolant temperature, and if
you do not reach that temperature during normal driving it will store
a trouble code. What that temperature is I don't know (probably in the
factory service manual), but the folks running 180s haven't gotten the
code.

  As far as deposit cleaners are concerned, go to your local parts house
and ask them, or just stare at the shelves for a while. I assume something
like Chevron Techron will help to remove cylinder deposits. In the past,
I have dumped water into my running engine's carburetor to clean out
carbon deposits, but I have not done this on my Dakota and for all I
know, it will destroy your engine. Do at your own risk.

  Ron