RE: Re: DML Digest V3 #751

From: STRICKLAND, Tate (tstricklan@shl.com)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 17:22:37 EDT

There are variances - I've seen some - including mine - that run well over ? at idle. I wouldn't worry about it.

Tate

>I've got a 97 V8 auto and bought with 8,000 currently with 9,800 and I've
>noticed the OP runs low (about 1/4) when at idle and about 3/4 at hwy
>speeds.... I'm not sure which is right... any ideas? Thanks Gary

They are both right. The oil pump turns relative to engine speed. At idle
it turns slower, pumps less and delivers less pressure. At speed it turns
faster giving more pressure and circulating the oil faster. What you are
observing is normal.