Re: Wed nite drags

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat May 09 1998 - 15:46:33 EDT

On Sat, 9 May 1998, WillTier wrote:

> << I'm not 100% sure wether its
> possible or not, but if we pull it off, any DML'er who is handy with a
> soldering iron will be able to build their own... >>
>
> Now I realize you 2 birds is purdy smart but this doesn't sound like a parts
> available knowledge capable kind of a ordeal. How would it work, hooked to a
> laptop or something ? I think maybe you'se guys have been shifting to many
> gears...

  Well, all of us 5-speed guys is purdy smart. :-) You've let yourself go into
a slump because of a lack of shifting; gotta keep the brain active, ya know? ;-)

   As far as the parts go, I guess it depends on what you consider available... All
the parts needed are available through mail order. The way we're planning to do it
is to use IC microprocessors. Depending on how things work out, it might be able
to connect to a laptop too (which would give you a lot more info than the microprocessors
could, like an entire torque/hp curve mapped over RPM, etc. We'll be using an
accelerometer just like the g-tech, but we're also playing with some ideas the g-tech
doesn't touch, like reading the RPM directly from the engine via an inductive pickup,
which will allow us to calculate torque and not just HP, etc. (Would turn your car
into a rolling dyno...) It'll allow you to correct for weather and stuff too. Of
course, it'll give you 0-60 and 1/4 mile like the g-tech but also 1/8 mile, etc. Its
still very much in the design phase, but it is definitely do-able. The one big limiting
factor will be the capability of the microprocessors.

                                              -Jon-

  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (15.34@89.10), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |