Engine pinging

From: Michael & Jeannine Reynolds (jeanninemike@fuse.net)
Date: Sat May 09 1998 - 17:14:21 EDT

I have a '98 Dakota 4X4 CC with a 318, automatic, 3.55 rear and the tire =
& handling package. Yesterday, while my wife and I were on our way home =
from work, we pulled out onto a road and started moderately accelerating =
up steep hill. I then heard the engine start pinging, so I backed off =
some and of course, it subsided. Then I floored it. It pinged =
momentarily before the trans shifted down to second, then revved without =
any pinging. I was using 89 octane Shell plus gas. Thinking that I =
might have some bad gas, I went to the Autozone and picked up some STP =
gas treatment (the concentrate). I had less than 1/4 tank, and I put =
this stuff in and filled up with premium (93 octane). This has helped a =
bit, but I still notice a small tendency for pinging if I give it 1/2 =
throttle to accelerate in OD. Do you guys (and gals) think that I have =
some bad gas, or is there something in the engine management system that =
is causing the engine to run a little lean? How long should I wait =
before I eliminate the bad gas possibility and take it to a dealer? I =
know that there is no way to adjust or check the base line timing. =
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Michael Reynolds
'98 Dakota 4X4 CC
5.2L, Flame Red, 2200 miles