Re: RE: RE: Engine pinging

From: rti1pmp@ismd.ups.com
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 17:31:21 EDT

>Got my Dak back from the dealer on Wednesday. They said that the most
>probable cause of the pinging is that the computer is designed to run the
>engine on a rich mixture for the first 6000 miles. They said if it
>continued to ping after 6000 miles, to bring it back.

I have never heard that before. Sounds like BS. Running an engine rich
doesn't cause pinging - running it lean does.

>They also recommended to only use 87 octane gas since higher octane gas
>actually causes performance problems on stock Mag engines.

I haven't hear that before either ... more BS prolly. 87 octane has the
most propensity to pre-ignite. It is a "hotter" burn. More octane
actually runs a cooler burn - less pre-ignition/pinging.

Your Dak pings because the OBD computers are set up to run on the fringe
of lean for emissions reasons. Ever wonder why they idle so rough? The
only pinging you should get is light pinging under moderate to heavy load.
The engine management system tries to adjust the mixture by sensing among
other things, the O2 sensor and the air flow sensor. Timing is advanced
or retarded based on load, vacuum input, and the knock detector. Running
93 octane cleared the majority of my pre-ignition up - but not all.

>They also told me that my "Check Engine" light came on because of a false
>code (something with the governor, even though Dak's don't have one).
>Anyway, they failed to explain why my engine ran like sh*t for the two
>days after the light came on. Guess I'll just have to watch it.

Geez, I'd find another dealer personally.

Matt
'97 Dak