re: Enigne Pinging

From: Sperduto, Nick (SperdutoN@mail.dnb.com)
Date: Mon May 11 1998 - 08:42:00 EDT

Hi, I also have the same truck as you and I've been having a ping
problem. It has 18k on it now. The thing is it only does it under some
kind of load. Like going up a hill or accelerating from 60-75 mph. It
seems to do the same thing your does. It's really bad if I try and pull
my camper. I haven't had a chance to try different grades of gas with
the camper on.
My freind just tell me "Run 93 Octane, it's only a few more cents", but
my point is the truck is brand new, I shouldn't have to run 93. Besides,
I drive 150 miles a day. That adds up to alot of money.
I haven't gone to the dealer for that yet, because it's difficult for me
to get time to go.
 I'm going on a road trip next week and I'm going to try different
grades of gas. Most of the trip is up and down mountains.
What part of the country are you from.
I've heard that computer cars when new adjust themselves to the first
grade of gas you put in,
and if you change, the truck won't run correctly. I'm thinking that when
I got this truck, here in NJ we had oxygenated gas and now we don't. I
was thinking of somehow trying to reset the computer.

Anyone else know if this is possible ?

Nick