Intermediate shaft and front suspension "thumping" on 97 Dak

From: rti1pmp@ismd.ups.com
Date: Mon May 11 1998 - 17:56:43 EDT

     Hi all,

     I've been unsubscribed from the list for a bit. I have brought some
     problems problem back to the forum with me regarding some front
     suspension/steering linkage thumps and clunks on my 97 Dakota 2wd.

     First problem: I have been getting a light bumping feel transmitted
     through the steering column into the steering wheel. Kind of feels
     like someone wrapping the head of a screwdriver on the steering shaft
     under the hood. I've had the truck in to get it checked out and the
     dealer replaced the intermediate shaft. The problem went away for
     approx 3000 miles but is now back. I get it while doing parking lot
     manuvers where the wheel gets turned from lock to lock, and when
     throwing the weight front to back - back to front like when making a
     jack rabbit start followed by a quick stop. I rifled through the
     archives and saw mention of an upgraded intermediate shaft and a
     technical service bulliten that talks about this. I've searched
     www.alldata.com for the tsb on intermediate shafts and came up empty.
     Can anyone give me a reference number or a place to go find it? I'd
     like to find out if my truck got the upgraded part. Anyone got the
     part no? I'm sure it is listed on my service ticket and I'd like to
     compare.

     Second problem: Similar to above but I get a the tapping or wrapping
     click transmitted through the brake pedal as well.

     Third problem: This one is more pronounced than the first two. When
     makeing left and right turns (most notably left) over bumpy terrain
     there is a muffled thumping noise and kind of a loose feel in the
     front suspension. I can feel it over speed bumps crossed at angles,
     going into diveways that have the little step-up apron, and manhole
     covers in the middle of intersections. The key seems to be hitting
     these obstacles with the wheels turned so that truck gets tossed
     around torsionally. I've asked the wrenches at the dealership over 4
     trips now to check sway bar brackets, mounting, positioning, loose
     motor and tranny mounts, front coils springs moving in the towers, etc
     ... They can find absolutely nothing wrong and I'm stuck!

     Any help out there regarding any of this would be greatly
     appreciated!!!

     Thanks,

     Matt Plowman
     97 Dakota Sport