Re: Headers for the R/T

From: catlin (catlin@erols.com)
Date: Tue May 12 1998 - 13:27:24 EDT

Just got off the phone with the Leach Co. they make
the headers for Mopar. He said they just finished
the prototype headers & cat back for the R/Ts.
He said it should give a pretty good boost in performance
but no dyno test as of right now. They are long tube.
5.2 Dakota headers won't work since the R/T has dual
pipes all the way to the cat and a larger trans to go around.
They should be ready for production in about 6 weeks (no
guarantee though). They also said the big restriction in the
current exhaust is the down pipes where the bend in the pipe
closes the pipe down (so I assume shorty headers wouldn't
help this). The cat back they will have is a true 3" the
current R/T cat back is actually 2-1/2" with a 2-1/4" restriction
inside the muffler caused by a bend in the pipe inside the
stock muffler (Stock muffler is straight through but the pipe
Z bends inside the muffler). The only part of the stock that's
3" is the very end of the stock tail pipe. Anyway it sounds
like this will be the setup I'll use. Thanks Jim for the info.
One last note. One of the guys I spoke with today said
they got some of there biggest gains out of the Dakota
they tested with Crowler Roller Rockers. Here the info
if anyone wants it.

http://www.crower.com/index.html
(619) 422-1191

Mike Catlin