Re: air fuel mixtures & computers

From: jim miller (jmiller@eramp.net)
Date: Tue May 12 1998 - 07:53:14 EDT

Frank Ball wrote:

> } Assuming that the computer can detect a rich mixture
> (NOS said the truck would be running rich
> } with larger injectors, so I'm assuming that the computer doesn't
> } compensate, otherwise it wouldn't be running rich.The computer uses the
> oxygen sensor (the one in front of the converter

Jim Miller wrote:
I have been told that the computer does adjust the mixture based on the info
it gets from the O2 sensor, HOWEVER the adjustment is making the injectors
stay open longer for richer or shorter for
leaner. The problem you can get into by going too big an increase in
injector size is that the injector
may dispense too much fuel in the shortest open time that the computer can
control. I've seen a chart
on this and you probably wont have a problem if you don't go more than 10%
larger than stock, but if you do you may have a problem with over rich run
especially at idle speed.