Driveshaft clunk

From: tbollin@uoft02.utoledo.edu
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 10:41:18 EDT

I was under my truck yesterday to check out the familiar clunk of the
driveshaft. I noticed a little play in the forward universal, but what
unnerved me was the fact that I could move the thansmission, back and forth
about 3/4 an inch in either direction with one hand. How much play should
be in either of these. I'll have to let you know that I recently had the
transmission worked on because of the downshift "clunk". (Which bythe way was
fixed. :) I am thinking that the previous problem has caused the play in
both the trannie and the universal. What do you think?