Re: RE: Two Questions..(High Octane Fuel)

From: svieth@ameritech.net
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 05:48:40 EDT

> 1. Yes, it gives slightly more power and better gas mileage. This is because
> the computer does not retard the timing as much with higher octane. It is
> worth the extra cents per gal. Also stick with good gas companies such as
> Chevron, Texaco and Union 76. Most of them use additives and are more
> reputable than AM/PM or BP. I have gotten bad gas from them in previous
> vehicles and will never go back.
>
> Joel

Since when do our trucks retard the timing based on the octane
rating of the gasoline we pump into the tank? The original
poster said that he had no knocking right now so the timing
should not be retarded at all.

Running high octance fuel in a non-tweaked Dakota is
a waste of money. The trucks are built to run on
87. Buying 93 is wasting cash....

Now...if you change the compression ratio or alter the spark
timing with some mods, *then* you will need 93.

-Scott

"No, Homer, very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's a
terrible strain on the illustrator's wrist."