Re: RE: Two Questions...

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 12:06:01 EDT

> > 1. Does Premium fuel give me more power even though I Have no knocking or
> > anything? I've heard yes and I've heard no.

> 1. Yes, it gives slightly more power and better gas mileage. This is because
> the computer does not retard the timing as much with higher octane. It is
> worth the extra cents per gal.

  No, sorry, that is incorrect. The Magnum engines don't have knock sensors,
and therefore don't advance or retard timing in response to engine knock.
Paying for octane that you don't need is still throwing money away. Check
the Gas FAQ at ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/rec/autos/tech/
for more info than you ever wanted to know about the subject.

  I've also determined empirically that my stock '95 318 Magnum gets no better
power or mileage with 89 or 93 octane fuel than I do with 87, under normal
driving conditions. However, sometimes I have to run 89 to avoid pinging when
loaded on the highway (or when running winter-formula [not oxygenated] fuel).

> Also stick with good gas companies such as
> Chevron, Texaco and Union 76. Most of them use additives and are more
> reputable than AM/PM or BP.

  That is good advice, but all gasoline sold in the US since 1994 must contain
additives to control fuel system deposits. Of course, the refineries determine
their own additive packages, so you may actually gain something by sticking with
the big oil companies.

  However, just because a station has a major company's sign out front doesn't
mean you're getting good gasoline. I have watched no-name black market gas
tankers filling storage tanks at local Chevron, Texaco, and Amoco franchisees.
Got a really bad tank of gas at that Amoco station, and I have never gone back.

  Basically, the best thing you can do is pay attention to how your vehicle
runs (mileage, pinging) and stick with stations & brands that give you the
best performance.

  Ron