RE: RE: Two Questions...

From: Rhyner, Mark (RhynerM@emh1.hqisec.army.mil)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 12:08:13 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: joel [mailto:joelz@oz.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 1998 7:23 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: RE: Two Questions...

1. Yes, it gives slightly more power and better gas mileage. This is
because
the computer does not retard the timing as much with higher octane. It
is
worth the extra cents per gal. Also stick with good gas companies such
as
Chevron, Texaco and Union 76. Most of them use additives and are more
reputable than AM/PM or BP. I have gotten bad gas from them in previous
vehicles and will never go back.

Joel
I'd like to see some data on this one.

It seems unlikely (intuitively anyway) that the computer would be able
to determine the difference between octane unless the engine had been
exhibiting detonation before the premium grade fuel was used.

Some of the additives in the premium fuel can have an affect on the
engine in the long run but I'm not sure it's worth the added cost daily
when you can throw in a can of additive from time to time for less cost.

Mark R
93 5.2Magnum, CC, LE, slushbox, pigeon hauler