RE: RE: Two Questions..(High Octane Fuel)

From: Mike Jones (rmjones@cyberhighway.net)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 13:20:49 EDT

Howdy, all. I've been lurking for a few days now. My new company vehicle,
due to arrive next week, is a Durango. Don't even know what options it has
yet, other than it's Forrest Green. (The company I work for was partially
bought out, and the new owner also owns a Dodge dealership. He was
apparently agahst that I am currently driving a Ford... so, a new vehicle
will land in my lap. Almost makes up for the loss in benefits and
additional red tape that the new company is famous for. But I digress...)

Anyway, my personal vehicle is an Expedition, and I have learned that the
EEC-V will actually advance timing over base as much as possible based on
knock detection, as well as retard from base (rather than only retard from
base as is traditional). The increase in mileage by itself in no way makes
up for the fuel price differential, but there is a definite -- and
noticeable-- benefit to running a higher octane when warranted, as when
towing... or running at the strip ;)

Has Chrysler (or is it Kreisler?) implemented a similar strategy perhaps?

Happy to be aboard...

Mike J.

>>svieth@ameritech.net wrote (snip):
> 1. Yes, it gives slightly more power and better gas mileage. This is
because
> the computer does not retard the timing as much with higher octane. It is
> worth the extra cents per gal. Also stick with good gas companies such as
> Chevron, Texaco and Union 76. Most of them use additives and are more
> reputable than AM/PM or BP. I have gotten bad gas from them in previous
> vehicles and will never go back.
>
> Joel

Incidentally, my brother-in-law is a fuel wholesaler, and he showed me some
of his transaction sheets showing supplier and recipient. As much fuel
made by a particular refiner went to a competitor as to its own stations.
 In other words, fuel is fuel these days. When you pull into a '76 station
you are as likely to be buying Chevron gas as '76. There are undoubtedly
regional differences in quality, but it's just not possible any more to say
one chain is worse than another across the country.

Running high octance fuel in a non-tweaked Dakota is
a waste of money. The trucks are built to run on
87. Buying 93 is wasting cash....

-Scott

"No, Homer, very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's a
terrible strain on the illustrator's wrist." >>

(Good joke!!!!)