Re: Crash Tests

From: Tony Mastres (mastres@id.ucsb.edu)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 13:10:54 EDT

The recent crash test of the Dak were to say the least surprising. I know
that many people dont believe the tests mean anything but you'd have to
admit its an interesting comparison between the those five trucks. Our Daks
are much larger than the Nissans yet both performed equally poorly in that
test. I hate to say it but that makes me wonder a bit. Not that I'd ever
get rid of my Dak, there's nothing else I'd want to drive.

All I can say is I used to have a Nissan, now a Dak (Both 4x4) and I also
find it strange the Dak wouldn't fair better (Nissan is much lighter in
areas like thinner doors, etc..at least 500 lbs lighter total).

This brings up another point: I'd like to see the same trucks in their
4X4 versions tested. I gotta believe the intrusion into the floor would
be far less on the 4X4. Lastly, alot of the test is subjective to those
circumstances. At a different speed and impact angle the results could
be reversed 180 degrees. Clearly something that folds up into an accordian
at 20 mph will only be worse at 40, etc and should be avaoided, but the
fact that the head of the dummy hit the door in that accident may have little
to do with how the head fairs at a different impact angle (side jolt).

Bottom line: don't leave the house or breath the air! living can be hazardous
to your health so now I'll just fold up into the fetal position on my bed
and never move! (he said as the meteor crashed through the roof ...:-)

-Bob T. '98 Sport+ CC 4X4 V8 5sp 4WABS 3.55 Towing