Re: Pass side locks

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 14:42:59 EDT

At 09:19 PM 5/12/98 , you wrote:

>Ok my 88 has a slight problem, the passengers door will not unlock, either
>from inside, or with the key... what can i do to unlock the door so that i
>can have the dealer replace the mechanism, also after that is done i plan
>on adding power locks and having them interfaced with my alarm so that this
>will hopefully never happen again... i really can't afford to pay a dealer
>for a couple hors of labor at 50 an hour to dissasemble the interior and
>get the door panel off, and the door open... what can i do?

Sounds like something is definitely broken or jammed inside the door, so
the door panel is going to have to come off. If you can't/don't want to pay
someone else to do it, you'll have to do it yourself.

As far as getting the door unlocked without removing the door panel, the
only way that I know of to do it would be to use a slim-jim. This is a
locksmith's tool used to go between the window and outer door panel and
grab the mechanism inside the door and open the door. It may or may not be
possible to do this depending on what is causing the problem. The only way
to find out is to try. It is also something that is not recommended for
amateurs. You need to know where to grab and what to grab or you could
cause more problems. You should, therefore, get a locksmith to try it for
you (not free (unless you know somebody) but still cheaper than dealer labor).

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed