Re: RE: The Dodge Dakota and Nissan Frontier rated

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 14:56:15 EDT

At 09:47 AM 5/13/98 , you wrote:

>2. Where is the statistical data, ie. repeteat tests? It would seem that
>the Insurance Industry tests only sample one of each vehicle. A
>scientific testing methodology does not make conclusions based on a
>single test. What if the dummy was defective, not securely fastened,
>sensors were improperly placed, the vehicle used had a structural
>defect,... Multiple tests are typically used to rule out such anomolies
>- which was basically CC's response.

This is the same problem that I have with this test. The only thing they
have shown is what happened in this one particular crash. Would they get
the same results if they did the test a second time? Highly unlikely. When
car companies make a model for sale they have to put it through a whole
series of crash tests. Yet the Insurance Institute is drawing conclusions
(setting rates?) based on this one example. What's wrong with this picture?

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed