Re: R/T Acceleration

From: catlin (catlin@erols.com)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 15:28:59 EDT

>Ebn Ozn Wrote:
> Subject: R/T Acceleration
> Just a quick question for those of you with the new R/T's. What kind of
> power does it have when accelerating at higher speeds (say 60-80 mph)?
> Was reading a review by some guy at USA Today's website, and that was an
> item he mentioned as a negative of the R/T. His exact quote was "The
> engine, so impressive at low speeds, runs out of breath on the highway.
> It has unimpressive power in reserve if you want to, say, pass somebody
> while already running 75 mph."
>
> He also mentioned the suspension can be a bit rough on bouncy roads at
> highway speeds. Any comments?
>
> Complete review can be found at
> http://usatoday.com/money/consumer/autos/mareview/mauto416.htm
>
> Regards,

> Ebn

Ebn,
     I can tell you from my personal experience when
you kick it at highway speeds after cruising about 60
 it takes off! But having said that when I was at the
drag strip and floored it from a standing start and it did
seem to "run out of breath" at about 70MPH. I
believe this has more to do with the exhaust and
back pressure building up. That's the only way I
can explain the difference from a cruising start and
a standing start. I spoke with the guy who just
finished building the prototype headers for the R/T
and he said there is a severe restriction in the R/T
stock exhaust down pipes. The good news is he said
seat of the pants test (They hadn't dynode it yet)
with the new headers had strong gains in mid &
upper range right where it currently lacks. As far
as the ride how's your dental insurance? Actually
it not bad. The ride was very similar to the standard
Dakota with the tire & handling package when we first
got it. That ride smoothed out substantially when we
put a set of Michelin tires to replace the Good Years
that came with the standard Dakota.

Mike Catlin