rear axle

From: the bobster (charger69rt@inficad.com)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 02:34:57 EDT

Hi List

We own a 92 V8 big cab Dakota that trashed the rear end. 50,000 miles
no warrenty.Second owners.

$428 put a wrecking yard assembly underneath and back on the road.

My question is: anybody else on the list ever have a similar problem?

It looks like the retaining bolt on the spider gear shaft broke and
allowed the staft to muck about breaking bits. The carrier was worn
almost to a figure 8 pattern.

The only symptom was a random harmonic viabration that was originally
thot to be a u-joint.

Does anyone make an 8 3/4 conversion for the Dakotas ?

In my 30+ years of maximizing Mopars' performance I have never seen
such a failure.

thanks for any feed back

bob