Re: Wed Nite Drags 5-13

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 02:28:13 EDT

At 11:46 PM 5/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Trophy Count 2 and 2 . Red lights 0. Jon's getting nervous, Good thing he
>harrassed me about the red lights I usually do better under pressure..
>BAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

  Yep, its true. :-(

   I was eliminated in the 1st round; so much for my winning streak. :-)
One consolation was that I lost because I broke out (by about .2);
at least I didn't redlight or miss a shift...

   I had one really bad run where I couldn't convince it to shift
into 3rd fast enough and I ran a 16.1 or something like that; a few
more runs were 15.6 through 15.8. My last run before bracket racing,
I ran a 15.5something, so I dialed in at 15.5, since the humidity was
going up and the track was getting dew on it. The truck had quite a
while to cool down and I ran a 15.3. :-( I had three more time trials
after being eliminated, in which I ran 15.3's and 15.4's. It was really
strange! The only thing I can think of that might have made me run
better was that I drove around the water box (as usual) but instead
of pulling right up to the line, I goosed the throttle after the box
and let the tires spin just a little bit, to get the water off. (A
guy in a Ram said that he did that, and it made sense to me.) Thinking
back, my traction did seem better in 1st, and I got less spin in 2nd.
I also got a tiny amount of wheel hop at the end of 1st; I usually get
none at all. So I think my launch might have improved, which is why I'm
getting lower times.
   I was beginning to think that my best of 15.34 was a fluke; now
that I have a few more 15.3's (one a 15.35) and 15.4's under my belt,
I feel better about the truck's performance. I suspect that my
earlier 15.34 "fluke" was simply a good spot on the track with a lucky
launch. Hopefully I can reproduce it consistantly now.

   In retrospect, I shouldn't have tried something new during bracket
racing. I should've just run the way I had been running. Live and
learn, I guess. :-)

   Bill was running the juice today; it was really fun watching
him run down those chebbys and furds. :-) Kind of like some sort of
juiced up Magnum powered hawk snatching up those bowtie and blue oval
mice. :-) He was easily the fastest truck there today by a good 2
seconds, with a 13.4 dialin.

   Bill's son only managed 16's in his neon, but he did very well
during bracket racing; he made it to the final 6, which is a lot
harder to do in the stock class than it is for the trucks because there
were easily 3 or 4 times the number of cars than trucks. His last race,
he cut a .502 reaction time and ran .1 over his numbers but lost to the
other guy who had an identical reaction time and ran .01 over his numbers;
just bad luck I guess.

>Hope ya had a good trip home Jon..

  Yep, I did, thanks. I managed to stay awake, anyway. :-) Too bad
we didn't get to run together, but maybe next week... One of these days,
I'm gonna shatter your "undefeated against a 5-speed in the 1/4"
record. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.