Re: New Dakota 2WD SLT on the way from Warren, Mich.

From: Jason & Norah (janor@ican.net)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 06:32:28 EDT

At 10:54 PM 5/13/98 -0400, Skeptic X wrote:
>Hello list!
>
>My wife and I have a new 2WD Dakota on order--expected ETA is the 21st
>(May). I want to get the truck lifted by 2 or 3 inches, and I'm not
>interested in a body lift. A local shop says they can lift it by
>tightening the torsion bars in front (and realigning the front end), and
>adding a block kit in the rear. Can anyone tell me if these
>modifications will likely create any problems? Will I need to get new
>shocks if I have it done? What's a reasonable price, including labor?

Sorry to put a damper on your plans, but it won't work on a 2WD. As others
have noted, the 2WDs use coil springs in the front instead of torsion bars
like the 4x4s. You could use longer coil springs or spacers up there
instead, but I think the real problem is going to be the rear. The 4x4s are
sprung above the axle, so adding blocks will raise the rear. The 2WDs are
sprung below the axle, so adding blocks is going to lower the rear. The
only way I know of to raise it is to do a spring-over conversion or get
deeper-arched springs.

Just in case anyone out there with a 4x4 is thinking of cranking up the
torsion bars, there was a discussion on that a while back. From what I
remember, you can get about an inch, maybe two, before it starts to cause
problems.

If you figure out any new great things, be sure to let us know.

Jason