RE: 2WD SLT has coil springs, not torsion bars?

From: Walter Felix (Walter_Felix@classic.msn.com)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 08:02:02 EDT

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 2wd have coil springs in front. Only
the 4x4 models have torsion bars. I don't know for sure about 97-98 models
but I know this is true for pre 96 models.

Your probably going to have a hard time finding a suspension lift for a 2wd
because trailmaster is the only manufacture of a 4x4 lift kit that I know of.
I had heard that Rancho was also coming out with one, but I'm not if they have
released it as of yet. Dakotas are generally harder to find after-market
accessories for especially if you're looking for something outside the norm.

BTW: Cranking the torsion bars on a 4x4 Dakota will give you about 1" to 11/2"
 of additional clearance but will stiffen the ride quite a bit. Also it
changes the geometry of the front end, including the angle of the CV axles,
increasing the wear on front end parts. It definitely shortens the life of
ball joints, CV boots, etc.... After cranking mine 2 years ago, I had to
replace the ball joints and CV boots (could have been from normal wear). I
just recently noticed one of the CV boots has a small pin hole in it now and
will probably need to be replaced before the year is out.

Walter_Felix@MSN.COM
88' Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9219