Re: New Dakota 2WD SLT on the way from Warren, Mich.

From: Eric Schreiner (xneric@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 11:14:46 EDT

A 2WD Dak has a coil spring front end and no torsion bars. To lift it would
require new springs, they can be custom made if you can't find them in
stock. A cheaper way would be a rubber spacer. With the front end geometry
of the Dak, I would guess that a 1" spacer would get into your ballpark for
lift.

The rear is tougher. The springs go under the axle, so adding a block
LOWERS the truck. I know, I've done it. A shop could do a spring-over
conversion on your rear axle. I don't think that would be cheap, or you
might be able to get a used 4WD rear set up. Then there's always air
shocks, but not a very good way to go.

If the change causes your shocks to top or bottom before the suspension
does, you'll need to replace them also.

Eric