Re: Bed liners

From: Skeptic X (SkepticX@negia.net)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 11:51:53 EDT

Rader wrote:

> Proper prep for a spray-in includes sanding the bed down, exactly
> as if you were prepping for a repaint. So you don't buy a spray-in
> to protect the paint.

With Line-X you NEED the paint. Line-X sticks to the paint, apparently, so
sanding down the bed would seriously foul up a Line-X coat. But the point
you were driving at still remains true. You don't overcoat the paint to
protect the paint, but to protect the metal from rust and other kinds of
wear. I think it's pretty funny when they advertise Line-X / coatings as the
best way to protect the paint. Are they suggesting that you can peel off the
coating to get back to the preserved paint when your truck becomes a classic
and you want to restore it or show it?! Somehow I don't think so.

> The best of all possible worlds would be a spray-in UNDERNEATH a
> drop-in, but that would require more buckage than most people (including
> myself) are willing to devote to bed protection.

Now THERE's an idea! I'm getting a free Mopar liner with my truck, and I
want to go with a spray-on later. I was planning to try and sell the Mopar,
but maybe I'll keep it instead. Hadn't even occurred to me--thanks!

Skeptic X