Re: 3000GT DAK???

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun May 17 1998 - 00:58:52 EDT

At 12:20 AM 5/17/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I just got this idea at work today (Busch Gardens will do that to
>ya').... I would be interested to see someone bolt up the AWD system,
>suspension system, and the Twin Turbo Engine from a 3000GT. I might even
>try it myself! Get some 4WS up in this, too!
>Man, that would be slick! I thought to myself "hhmmm what if the parts
>are too wide, a 3000GT is a pretty stout car" My solution is, use the AWD
>from a Talon or Eclipse, maybe..... Not a bad idea if you ask me...
>people bolt up Vette suspension and stuff on Chebbies.... hhhmmmmm, what
>do you guys think? That Dak would handle, and haul ass!!!!

  Would definitely be an interesting project. :-) Very, very expensive
though. I don't remember how heavy the VR-4 is; its not light, but I
think its somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000lbs lighter than a
Dak. (Ok, maybe 500) The weight difference might be a problem.

   Also, the viscous limited slip diff and AWD is pretty cool, but it
virtually eliminates wheelspin, which means that the driveline has to
take all that power; there's no release. If you're planning on
pulling some serious horsepower out of the engine, this might
rear its head later in the form of broken bits in the driveline, most
of which aren't cheap. Course, if you've got the money to do the switch
in the first place, you can probably afford to fix it later. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.