Transmission oil leak (seal or gasket ?)

From: Mark Caswell (caswell@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun May 17 1998 - 22:18:38 EDT

Hi,

I have a 92 Dakota 4x4 V8 with Auto Trans. It is leaking Trans fluid
from the trans (not the transfer case. I checked the levels.) The fluid
is leaking from between the trans and transfer case.

My question is...

Is this something that I should be able to fix without removing the
transmission ? I noticed (in the Haynes manual) that there is a seal in
that area of the transfer case. I was wondering if that seal is used
jointly by both units ? If not, is there a gasket between the two units
or does the transmission have it's own seal. If the trans has it's own
seal, can it be replaced without removing the transmission ?

I know this is a long one, but any assistance would really be
appreciated. The Dodge dealership near here tells me it will be two
weeks until the service manual comes in and I need my truck to go on
vacation.

Thank you,
Mark