Re: Transmission oil leak (seal or gasket ?)

From: jim miller (jmiller@eramp.net)
Date: Sun May 17 1998 - 11:36:49 EDT

Mark Caswell wrote:

> I have a 92 Dakota 4x4 V8 with Auto Trans. It is leaking Trans fluid
> from the trans (not the transfer case. I checked the levels.) The fluid
> is leaking from between the trans and transfer case.
>
> Is this something that I should be able to fix without removing the
> transmission ?

> Maybe

I noticed (in the Haynes manual) that there is a seal inthat area of the
transfer case. I was wondering if that seal is used jointly by both units
?Probably notIf not, is there a gasket between the two units or does the
transmission have it's own seal.Trans has its own seal

> If the trans has it's own
> seal, can it be replaced without removing the transmission ?

MaybeI am not a transmission mechanic but I used to work in a shop where I
removed and reinstalled them. What I believe is leaking is a shaft seal in
the transmission output shaft. If this is the case,you will have to
separate the transmission from the transfer case to gain access to the
transmission output shaft at the rear of the transmission. It may not be
necessary to remove the transmission from the engine. I know I am not much
help but maybe this sheds some light on your leak.Jim Miller
Waco, Tx