Re: Wed nite drags 5-20

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu May 21 1998 - 02:02:37 EDT

At 11:11 PM 5/20/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Trophies now 3 to 2, In Jon's favor. 5Sps forever, no, Auto's forever, no, I'm
>not sure. One thing for shurr Jon has a better R/T and better 60' vs my street
>tires. Not real good times tonight but in the bracket Jon and I ended up in a
>match. I had to spot him a little and when it's close them alternating lights
>screw me up big time anyway Jon had a .6 light I had a 1. light. You cannot
>give Jon (Force) that much of a head start fer shurrrr. He just plain ole
>whooped me, but I think he felt bad about it (Not). Then he made it to the

  Hey, what gave it away? Musta been my big silly grin. Well, at least
I didn't gloat. ;-) Its too bad; we had no choice but to line up against
each other in the first round. Everyone else runs to the staging lanes
before they're called, so its hard to stage without running against
each other when you play by the rules. (Wouldn't be too bad with 2
people, but there are about 4 of us who try to line up.) I was hoping
I'd win first, so that'd vindicate Bill a little bit, but oh well. :-(

>final run but red lit and lost to Larry Fish, the same guy that got him last
>time but larry was driving his dad's truck which was a automatic so Jon got
>beat by a automatic. Jon's on top for now but I hain't givin up yet THE AUTOS
>WILL PREVAIL....AUTOS FOREVER !!!

   Welp, that's another notch in my belt I guess... First the 1/8th mile,
and now the 1/4... I'm 3/4 of the way there, Bill! All I need are a couple
more mods and I might even be able to beat you in an honest-to-goodness,
drop-down-drag-out 1/4 mile run! ;-) Course, you DO have that bottle,
so you'll be faster than me for QUITE a while. :-)

   I believe there were 5 Dakotas running today. I saw a nice looking
black dakota over in the mod stock area, but it wasn't racing.

>Good job Jon !!!!!!!!!!

  Thanks. :-) It was a fun day of racing! Blowing the last race with
a .493 light really sucked, but Larry is pretty tough, he probably
would've beaten me anyway. :-) 2nd isn't as fun as first, but I'll
take it! :-)

-------------

  Speaking of drag racing, I've found that I launch better if I spin
my tires for a second first; not a burnout, but just a quick spin to
get the water off. (Even driving around the water pit gets some
water on my tires.) So, I drive around the pit, straighten out,
and spin the tires. However, when I push the clutch back in (to stop
the spin) there's a pretty violent clunk, which I'm not so sure is
too great for the truck. Anyone have any ideas as to how to come out
a "burnout"? Should I press in the clutch slower? Maybe let off
on the gas a little? I suspect that if I let off completely, the
tires will catch without the clutch being in, and it'll be even worse
for the driveline. Anyone have any ideas?

  By the way, thanks for the shortcut, Troy! I followed your directions
no problem; and it did seem to cut a bit of time off the trip.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.