Re: Mobil 1 Oil Filters

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Fri May 22 1998 - 12:43:26 EDT

Rader wrote:

> The impression I'm left with is that the Mobil 1 filter is a very high
> quality oil filter that has a polymer medium, and is designed to spin off
> easily. However, is it really worth US$10+ bucks? I doubt it, and will
> continue to use high quality so-called "conventional" filters like NAPA
> and WIX. Those will only set you back $5.

On my last oil/filter change, I installed a Purolator PureOne filter.
This is their "premium" filter which uses teflon gaskets and relief
valve seal, with double the amount of filter medium of their standard
filter. Additional claim is that the filter medium used is a new
micro-filtration type. Probably pretty comparable to the Mobil 1 filter.
They have some hype for this filter on the following web site:

        http://www.pureoil.com/pureone/purehom.html

$5.99 at Pep Boys, compaired to the standard filter at $3.99. Seemed
like a pretty good deal for a "premium" class filter - the Fram
dura-guard and Mobil 1 filters are $10. I have used the regular
Purolator filters before with no complaints, so I thought I'd give the
new one a try.

So far so good... good pressure, no leaks, and the oil looks clean - it
better after only a week ;)