Re: 5.9L swap in New York

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 06:39:27 EDT

Jon,

You got that right. Aircraft engines are big bucks. The Lycoming engine has
all the technical sophisitication of a '62 Volkswaggon combined with the
ignition of a Briggs and Stratton. They are expensive because they only make
several hundred a year and they are subject to a lot of government paperwork.

Last summer I visited the Matituck remanufacturing company in Matituck NY (on
Long Island). They can rebuild a O-360 for a meer $10,000. It was great to
see the assembly line type rebuilding with all of the processes. At the end
they bolted the propeller flange of the crank to a stand on the floor and
started hanging bits on it. When it is done they bolt a stubby propeller on
it and put it in the dyno room for a couple of hours of run in.

Dak content... This weekend I drove the Dak to NY to visit my parents and take
my dad's plane up.

>Date: Mon, 25 May 98 20:55:45 EDT
>From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
>Subject: Re: DML: 5.9L swap in New York
>

> Snip...

> $3500 does sound like a lot of money (it is), but that seems
>to be a reasonable price for the crate motor. Heck, price an
>aircraft engine sometime! A Lycoming O-320 which makes anywhere
>from 150-180HP (depending on how its configured) sells for $19,000.
> Granted, its apples and oranges, but it makes that crate engine
>seem like a downright bargain! :-)

Joe Dille

Telford PA USA
(joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)