Re: 380 crate motor swap

From: Rekker21 (Rekker21@AOL.COM)
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 22:19:56 EDT

<< At first I thought that the crate motor would be a bargan, but if your used
 running with a computer then your S.O.L.... That is...unless you don't have
 any accessories in your ride and you don't mind ditching your guages (sense
 they
 to use the computer) and going back to a strickly "old fashioned" system.

 I'm putting my money on the Junk yard... I'll be happy to share my exp.
 with everyone
 as soon as I get all my ducks in a row. >>

  My 5.9 had 13K on it when I installed it. You really dont need the computer
harness when you purchase your 5.9, unless you have the V6! The 5.2 harness
is a better idea if that is already what you have. The B van harness, (which
is what my 5.9 is out of) is backwards! Meaning that the comp mounts on the
driver side instead of the Pass side like the Daks! If you have the 5.2 and
are considering this swap all you need is the 5.9, the 5.2 Hp comp or the 5.9
comp (either works, I found the 5.2HP works better! Until I get a 5.9HP
comp!), The 5.9 Flywheel (for those of us that are cool enough to have a 5
spd!!!!) and the 5.2 oil pan (to clear the torsion bar)oh yeah! A good friend
to help really helps!! I couldnt have done it without my buddy Mike! We did
it over a weekend when the wife and kids were away!! She freaked when we told
her!! Oh, one more thing!! Before you install the 5.2 oil pan, youre gonna
have to grind or cut some of the baffling out of the pan, the 5.9's longer
stroke will slightly hit the baffling! It really scared the shit out of me!!
Any questions just give me a call!!
I made plenty of mistakes doing this!! But you dont have too!! Eric K