Re: Throttle body mods (via Digest)

From: N2mopars (N2mopars@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 00:07:01 EDT

<< Magnum Performance sez:

 we often receive customer tbis that have had the "home-brew" mods
 done... sent in to us for repair. as an example...

 Holley upsets the tbi shaft fastener with a mechanical "lock" to the
 threads. Removing the screws "by hand" will damage the shaft's internal
 threads and will lock the tbi blade into the slot. Forcing the blade
 thru results in a "nice" :( groove in the blade face.

 one i rec'd came in with two dif screws in it... really, and none were
 holley

 we use special tooling and machining procedures to prevent this from
 happening... ie; imo... a professional approach. we do not like
 galled/malled metal...

 we have all the tooling, etc. we might be willing to consider a DML
 "do-it-ur-self" tbi kit. other than bragging rights... and hey... we all
 like them... of the "I... did it my self!" my econ tbi at $200 is miles
 ahead of a sears do-it-ur-self-drummel-job" and at $59.95 for a good
 drummel kit and no damaged parts and a WHOLE lot more modifications...
 and no bench time OR... mistakes/damaged parts... maybe a bunch cheaper,
 too. but in any event... you get a much better job with a lot MORE metal
 removed.

 the early magnum tbis were professionally done and very nice. but they
 were not close to the work and recontouring that we do today. you can
 remove metal by hand, but you can't get the best job without
 professional level machine work.

 i like your page as i support any do-it-ur-self hot rodding efforts. I
 got here by being a "do-ur-selfer hot rodder..." cutting corners at
 every oppportunity in my earlier days.

 my harley runs a full-on MPI custom brass mystery shaft in it's S&S carb
 (75hp+ hawg, stock 45) as does our family sedan... and of course,... "i
 did it myself!"

 j/mpi

What is the waiting period on your TBI?

Brad