First Drag Strip Experience!

From: RLewis7785@aol.com
Date: Thu May 28 1998 - 11:30:48 EDT

On Wednesday nite, I met Gene (Dodgeboyz3) at his place and we went out to
Houston Raceway park for their Wednesday Trophy Night.

Gene was a great help walking me through the steps and giving me some great
advice.

In all I made about ten passes. In the bracket racing, I only made one. Gene
eliminated me in the first round (actually I eliminated myself - I broke out).
Here's my losing timeslip:

Dial: 15.65
R/T: 0.669
60': 2.377
330': 6.588
1/8 mile: 10.041 @ 71.83
1000': 13.041
1/4 mile: 15.645 @ 86.58

My fastest time trial for the night was:

Dial: n/a
R/T: 0.632
60': 2.372
330': 6.621
1/8 mile: 10.102 @ 71.46
1000': 13.083
1/4 mile: 15.628 @ 88.22

Just a few notes: If I let the truck shift at ~4700-5000, I ran consistent
15.75's. In the elimination, I was playing with shifting myself, at over 5000
and my times were better, but not consistent (just like Gene said they would
be). On the elimination run where I blew out my time, I shifted from 1 to 2
OK, but never shifted to D for third gear. I was pullin ahead of Gene and
knew I was too fast, but just before I got out of it, I hit the rev limiter,
the truck bucked like it had been shot, and as I shifted into D, Gene had
pulled up alongside, and so I stayed in it. And the rest is history.

Man I had a great time at the strip, but is there any medication I can take to
get rid of the constant thoughts of "man if I just did ?????, it would go a
little faster".

I'll let Gene post his own times, but he went on to win the Jackpot!! Great
Job Gene!!! Congratulations.

We're plannin' on going back out Friday for the noncompetitive Friday
SafeStreet night. Any Houstonians on the list wanna come out, E-mail me or
Gene.

Richard Lewis, Tomball, TX
92 LE CC, 318, Auto
+++++ 15.628 @ 88.22 +++++