Re: Backfire noise

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 09:42:02 EDT

joel wrote:

> Does anyone with a '98 V8 5sp notice backfire when descending down a hill in
> the appropriate gear? Once the engine starts to do the compression braking
> down a hill there is a pop, pop, pop.

Joel,

My 98 v8/5spd does the same thing. The exhaust sound gets pretty lively,
but has never sounded bad enough to do any damage. I have been told by
others on the list that this is basically normal behavior, and that the
v8/5spds are worse about the popping than the v8/autos - makes sense.

You should also notice an idle surge while coasting. Try accelerating up
to 20-30mph, then put the clutch in with your foot off the acc pedal. As
the engine tries to idle, the rpm oscilates between 600-900rpm instead
of dropping to a solid 600rpm.

IMHO this idle surge/fluctuation is either flaw in the computer program
or an anomoly due to the basic SBEC design. I think that this surge
causes or contributes to the deacceleration backfire/popping as it is
causing extra fuel to be dumped into the engine when it should be at
flat idle. I'd be interested to know if an aftermarket or MP SBEC (which
doesn't yet exist for the 98's) will cure these quirks.

In any case, I haven't yet found the popping to be a problem - only a
minor anoyance once in a while which you can't hear with the windows up,
and the air conditioning and stereo on ;).

Look at it this way... some of the die-hard gear heads out there
actually PAY EXTRA for that popping sound ;).

jeff
98 rx 4x2 v8 5spd 3.55sg flares fipk