Re: Re: DML Digest V3 #856

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 12:05:21 EDT

DML,
Since I dont "compete" on the track (no facilities nearby) I like to see a
little track on the street. I suppose a "flat" cammed, un ported, small
cube motor dosent really do much for me, even if it can "whupmybutt" when
the giggle gas is turned on. I guess I could add Nitrous to my mom's Honda
accord and really have some fun? Also, I think this concept of "running
cooler" on Nitrous is not well developed. You CANT get something for
nothing. Nitrous adds oxygen to the mixture. Virtually every internal
combustion engine runs too rich and there is a lot of room to use this
oxygen to burn more of the fuel. When you BURN MORE of the fuel, things
heat up. Like the tops of your pistons. Also, the pressure in the cylinder
increases. Most likely beyond the design criteria for the materials of
construction (toasted ring lands, fryed rings, hot wrist pins and rod
bearings). No matter what, a "stock" engine running on long term nitrous
will not last as long as a motor "built to handle the HP". While Mopar
designs are the best, they are not impervious to abuse (nitrous) in their
stock form. It seems to me that the something you Cant get is long life
and reliability out of a nitrous injected "stock" motor. Piston debris out
the tail pipe is more than likely what Id see as I overtake your nitrous
injected stocker after the first 5 miles of "challenge" on the 805. I try
to build my motors for endurance so that: 1. I dont have to do it all the
time 2. I can drive way too fast for way too long and not worry about
things like spitting piston tops out my tail pipe. The guy that "got" me
on nitrous said he just stops in at the bone yard every so often for a "new"
350 motor whenever he sizzles the old one. Dodge magnum V8s are a little
expensive for that at this point. Now a slant six on the other hand...
.
BKB