Re: RE: DO NOT change t-stat...(Jules, help!)

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 02 1998 - 15:25:57 EDT

Collins, Richard wrote:

> Lowering the Tstat temp will cause the fan to run more won't it? Won't
> that rob you of precious HP more often unless you have an electric fan?
> i.e. if it's not necessary for the engine to cool itself at 180, then
> why pay the HP cost?

I think the above statement is backward. The viscous coupling in the fan
clutch increases engagement with temp (well, normally - except for
startup anomolies which defy reason). Therefore, if you lower the normal
operating temp of the engine by installing the 180 tstat (stock is 195),
the fan clutch will not need to engage as often and save a few hp.

I would still like to hear Jules' reasoning behind NOT changing the
tstat to 180. The only thing I can think of is a possible slight
increase in HC emissions.

jeff
98 rc v8 5spd 3.55sg flares fipk