Re: RE: DO NOT change t-stat...(Jules, help!)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 02 1998 - 17:38:40 EDT

At 02:28 PM 6/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Lowering the Tstat temp will cause the fan to run more won't it? Won't
>that rob you of precious HP more often unless you have an electric fan?
>i.e. if it's not necessary for the engine to cool itself at 180, then
>why pay the HP cost?

  Nope, that's a different system. The thermostat is a physical "switch"
or "valve" which opens up at a specific temperature. (In this case, 180
degrees; stock is 195 degrees). The thermostat is right at the (engine)
end of the large hose that comes out of the top of the engine and runs
into the top of the radiator. Basically, when the coolant temperature gets
hot enough to open up the thermostat, coolant can then flow through that
hose and go into the radiator, where it is cooled before returning to
the engine. If the temperature drops, the thermostat closes and the
cooling action stops. If it helps to picture it, you might want to take
a look at the install I documented on the DML home page:

 http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/UPGRADES/TSTAT/

  There's a more detailed explanation and some pictures there which might
help.

  The fan is a different system; a temperature sensor turns it on and off;
its sort of a backup system to the thermostat. The thermostat is 100%
mechanical; it isn't electrical. The horsepower robbing fan only comes
on if the thermostat fails to cool the engine enough; kind of a neat
design, actually. (Ok, well maybe not, but I think its neat) :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.