Re: RE: DO NOT change t-stat...(Jules, help!)

From: svieth@ameritech.net
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 02:11:34 EDT

> When you change the thermostat to a lower temperature, you risk the
> possibility of overheating. I know, it is hard to believe. The
> explaination starts with temperature differental between ambient air and
> water temperature. The higher the differential between ambient air
> temperature and watter temperature, the more heat transfered from the
> coolant to the air. By lowering your coolant temperature to 180, you
> are lowering the temperature differential by 15 degrees. This means you
> have to make up that 15 degrees in heat transfer somewhere else.

Huh? Switching to a lower thermostat will cause you to overheat?
Now that's a new one.....

By your reasoning, I could go to a 210 degree thermostat and I would
have a higher "temperature differential" and that would be better
yet. I don't think so.

> I'm no expert, this is from a magazine I read.
>
> If I find the article about the temperature differentials, I post the
> information.

Yes, please send the article that described the process you listed
above.

-Scott "very skeptical" Vieth