Wheel bearing questions

From: Bret Clark (bclark@vitts.com)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 09:33:13 EDT

I've got a 94 4x4 which means the damn wheel bearings are sealed, but what
symptoms should I look for in suspecting a wheel bearing may be bad. I'm
getting very unusual wear from my front left tire (they are worn though and
I need new tires) and the other day I was getting a small sound from the
front when making right hand turns, but nothing with left hand turns.

I took the front wheel of on the suspect bearing, but I couldn't tell
anything. There was no play in the hub assembly and I grease the chassis on
a regular basis. I just replaces all shocks about 3 weeks ago. I haven't
been able to duplicate the noise since the other night, but the front tire
is showing extensive wear all of a sudden and I haven't driven it much
because I suspect a problem.

How much for the hub assembly if I do replace the wheel bearings?

Thanks in advance,
Bret
94 Dak 4X4