Re: reason for cold fan roar

From: Robert Tufts (rbt@frontiernet.net)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 11:06:04 EDT

from Jim Miller:

NOW when the fan is cold as in when first started, the fluid IS THICK and causes
the fan to turn fast even though the valve is open. After a minute or 2 the fluid
warms, becomes thinner and since the valve is open the clutch free wheels.
Thetas is why the cold fan noise. It is NOT a malfunction therefore no one is
required to fix it. Dodge is not the only make whose fans do this. Every Ford or
GM I ever owned did this too. Learn to live with it. If you have a clutch fan
and it is working normally it may do this.

Then again it may not, depending.... I think the algorithm is on odd days of the
week when the temperature is dropping - only if proceeded by a full moon.
I see no consistancy with temperature (results are pure random), hence the design
sucks. If it were consistant, I could respect the mechanics behind it.

Anyone care to place a wager on the wheel of misfortune(fan)? You will surely lose.
I can show you freezing cold days when it doesn't howl and warm ones when it does
(and vice-versa). Same with humidity variables. Totally unpredictable.

-Bob T. '98 Sport+ CC 4X4 V8 5sp 4WABS 3.55 Towing