Re: DML RE: DO NOT change t-stat...(Jules, help!)

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 19:47:45 EDT

Something else a lot of people are forgetting here is the likelyhood of
carboning up your heads, plugs, intake and exhaust when you are running
cooler. Not to mention that the cat convertor may clog up because it doesn't
come up to temperature quick enough, or at all. What happens is that when
the engine runs cooler, the fuel, and fumes from the crankcase, do not burn
completely, and their left overs end up depositing themselves on every
thing. With everything else being cooler, there is nothing that will burn
these deposits off. Now in a racing application where you are constantly
tearing down, and either repairing or tweaking, you clean all this garbage
out yourself and it never becomes a problem. In a street driven vehicle that
is never opened up, except when it runs so poorly that you have to open it,
then you see all of the buildup which most times is a major contributor to
the performance problems. My truck is running great with the 195 degree
stat, and I don't race it. If I were racing, and I needed the extra power
that a cooler (denser) fuel charge would provide, then I would go to a
cooler stat.
My .02.
Back into lurk mode.
John
98 Dak CC 4X4 Sport, 5.2L, Auto, 3.92LSD, T&H Package, Power Everything,
Nerf Bars, Billet Grill, Rhino Liner, Snuglid, DDBC