Re: B&M Trick shift

From: jim miller (jmiller@eramp.net)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 19:52:02 EDT

Why hasn't anyone told this gentleman what the torque converter is for?
Frank, the torque converter replaces the Clutch in an automatic transmission. It is
a fluid coupled device that works like two fans face to face. Turn one fan on ahd
the wind from it will turn the other.
Submersing both is a fluid will improve the coupling. Your torque converter is full
of transmission fluid. The insides are not like fan blades rather like a turbine
with 3 parts in it. One turbine is connected to the flex plate (flywheel) and one
is connected to the input shaft of the transmission.There is usually a third element
between the others with slanted blades on it to help increase the torque transfer.
I suggest you find a transmission manual like a mechanic would use and study the
inner workings of an automatic transmission and the torque converter. Not to make
this any longer than it already is, the answer to can changing to a different torque
converter make your truck run faster is no, BUT it can make it accelerate from a
standstill much faster. The use of a "high stall" converter allows the engine to
quickly rev up to a higher rpm where it makes more torque and gives you a faster get
a way. If you go too far with the stall speed you may adversly effect the
drivability of your truck. It can cause the engine to stay reved up at lower speedl
like you were in a low gear. There is a clutch in modern automatic transmissions
especially those with overdrive that engages at speeds over about 40 mph on most
veichles to improve fuel economy.
Just a quick note about early auto trannys, some only used a torque converter insead
of gears.
Early Buick Dynaflow before 1955 and Chevrolet Powerglide before 1953 were som
examples of these. You needed a lot of power to get moving in these innefecient
designs. Buick had the power, Chevrolet didn't!!!
Jim Miller
Waco,Tx
Excited!