shoulder harness failure

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Thu Jun 04 1998 - 06:36:36 EDT

Bob,

I am the guy who had questions about the passenger seat belt. I have a 1998
CC sport with the 5.2l 5-speed. I noticed the passenger belt did not lock when
pulled quickley, but the drivers side did. Both lock on sudden deceleration of
the vehicle. There are three possibilities:

A) They are supposed to be different.

B) The passenger side is broke.

C) The driver's side is broke.

I did not design the vehicle, but it is possible that they should be different
as the passenger does not have a steering wheel. I am concerend because my
son, wife, father and father-in-law ride in that seat. I took it to the dealer
and he changed the passenger side belt. It still did the same thing. I asked
him about this and he went and checked some other Dakotas on the lot and they
did the same thing. I am still concerned because the way they do work and the
way they are supposed to work can be two different things. If they don't work
as designed, someone may get hurt. BTW, I did check the owner's manual and
there is no mention of this in the rather detailed section on seat belts.

The dealer had done all he could so I sent Chrysler customer service a letter
asking if it was A, B or C. Their response shocked me. They called the
dealer and spoke with the service manager. They then called me and said he
said "All of the ones I checked did that." Now I doubt that D'Ambrosio Dodge
is the pinicle of passenger restraint design information in the Chrysler
Corporation.

Now I am pissed. So I write them a second letter explaining that I want to know
how the seat belts are supposed to work. I got a voice mail saying that I
need to take the truck back to the dealer for evaluation. I can understand the
run around If I wanted work done on the vehicle. I just want to know if it
works as designed.

I guess I will keep playing the game and take it in, but it seems pointless.
I look at it this way:

Q: When I pull out on the light switch what is supposed to happen?